stepping on dog crap, that sucks. stepping on human feces, that's fallacious. welcome to my world. wipe your feet.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

overachievers

i took a total of 12 units of german, during the last of my college years (7th and 9th year). it would've been great if i was able to laugh at a german joke. well, i still laugh every time i hear the word weinerschnitzel - but that's just me. what i'm trying to say is that for a student of any foreign language to really say that he has mastered the tongue that he's mastering (ignore that), he should be able to appreciate the humor vehicled in the language. this might seem that one is going above and beyond with this criterion of language assimilation, when all one merely desires is the ability to say "you have nice feet" in japanese (where am i going with this...?). but that's just me.

i have a question (stated with a poor tolits from bulagaan impression): how old were you when you first laughed at an american joke? i bet it had something to do with a jaywalking chicken (i never got that joke). next question: did you find john cleese funny back in his Python days? brit humor is a different thing altogether; some people like it dry (we are still talking about humor). i prefer mine wet - tearjerkers. nothing beats old fashioned pinoy humor:

tatlong nagyayabangan na daga...

daga1: kakain ako ng keso na may rat killer!
daga2: ha! kakain ako ng keso sa mouse trap!!
daga3: tsk! tsk! tsk! manood kayo! manrereyp ako ng pusa!!!

some things are best told in the vernacular. or is that just me?

5 Comments:

Blogger Bambi said...

iba talaga ang pinoy!

kinda reminds me of my thoughts on pinoy horror flicks sa blog ko, october archives(e.g.'Nanay' episode of Shake, Rattle, and Roll 3 and Halimaw sa Banga and Jean Garcia's Impaktita in the 80's). walang binatbat ang mga chuckie chuvanels na yan. :P:P siguro we pinoys relate more to those. :D hehehe. :D:D:D

i still watch bubble gang ang laugh my ileum out.

7:54 AM

 
Blogger number cruncher said...

i guess it goes with having a second language. much as the same way a "p*tang ina" sounds worse than a "sonofabitch"...

poor white anglo-saxon protestants, too arrogant in their ways to know that they're being snickered by the rest of the world for having just one language... then again, *we're* the ones forced to learn *their* language... such is the imbalance of the world... *sigh...*

i still prefer the "wala ka sa lolo ko" & the "boy bastos" stories though.... he3x! :P

12:39 AM

 
Blogger Kitty Litter said...

I have a vivid memory of the first time I ever saw Monty Python and the Life of Brian. It's of my first asthma inhaler. Yung part where the arrested schmuck (for blasphemy) goes, "Oh for crying out loud. It was just a phrase! There I was, having a spot of dinner, and I says to my wife, this is a dish fit for Jehovah..." then the slapstick occurs. I wake up in a hospital, hehe; hinika sa katatawa. Years later I realized that the dialogue was funnier. Talino ko talaga, grabe.

2:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, the Filipino language does seem to have more umph to it. Then again, here we are writing in English.

I remember going hysterical watching Home Alone 2. Can't say I'd classify it as an example of American humor though - assuming, that is, that slapstick comedy is something universal. As for British humor, sad to say I've only gotten as far as Mr. Bean and the first Bridget Jones movie.

-Batman

10:15 AM

 
Blogger Lesley Ardelle said...

I'd say that I "get" British humor, only because I think it's sophisticated to do so...But that really isn't saying much, because I'm the slowest (and most mababaw) person when it comes to jokes. I do get those British jokes...and the American ones...and the Pinoy ones...but only after a minute of lauging at nothing and saying "Di ko gets. Bakit ako tumatawa?" And then the joke-relayer stares at me with a frustrated look and I think that's what triggers the brain cells to start working, because that's when I start to get it. :p

But it's true though, that only a select few will get foreign humor. Try watching a comedy in SM North and in Powerplant Mall. The SM North people laugh at the slapstick. The Powerplant people laugh at the words. (or maybe I'm generalizing) Ah basta. I lost my point somewhere...Hehe. Pointless thoughts at 7 in the morning. :)

10:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home